Hi ! I am Darshan, a Research Associate working in the Computational Neurophysiology Lab , Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering (BSBE), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India. I did my PhD under the supervision of Dr. Rohit Manchanda . I construct and simulate detailed mathematical models of biological neurons and glial cells to hypothesize, test and predict the causes of unanswered biological phenomena.
Research and Education
My Ph.D. work involved the use of computational tools like NEURON, Scilab and Python to model the peripheral sensory neurons – Dorsal Root Ganglion (DRG) Neurons – supplying the urinary bladder. Currently, I am working on single cell soma model of dorsal root ganglion neurons.
I did my undergraduation in Biomedical Engineering from National Institute of Technology, Raipur. I worked in a market research company called MarketRx (now part of Cognizant) training as a market research analyst.
- D. Mandge and R. Manchanda, "A biophysically detailed computational model of urinary bladder small DRG neuron soma" PLOS Computational Biology, 14(7): e1006293. 2018. (Model Links: ModelDB, GitHub). This paper received the Departmental Best Research Paper Award from Dept. of Biosciences and Bioengineering, IIT Bombay. The article was also featured on the PLOS Computational Biology website (image) and twitter page.
- D. Mandge and R. Manchanda, "Computational studies on bladder small dorsal root ganglion neurons: Modelling BK channels." 2015 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Milan, 2015, pp. 5376-5379
- D. Mandge, A. Bhatnagar and R. Manchanda, “Computational Model for Intercellular Communication between DRG Neurons via Satellite Glial Cells using ATP.” 2017 8th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER), Shanghai, 2017.
- S. Aruljothi, D. Mandge, and R. Manchanda, “A Biophysical Model of Heat Sensitivity in Nociceptive C-Fiber Neurons.” 2017 8th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER), Shanghai, 2017.
- D. Mandge, P.R. Shukla, A. Bhatnagar and R. Manchanda, (2019, July). Computational Model for Cross-Depolarization in DRG Neurons via Satellite Glial Cells using [K]o: Role of Kir4.1 Channels and Extracellular Leakage. In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) , 2019 41st Annual International Conference of the IEEE (Accepted).
- D. Mandge and R. Manchanda, "Role of inward rectification of SKCa current on frequency modulation of small-diameter dorsal root ganglion neuron soma firing: a computational study." Bernstein Conference 2018. DOI: 10.12751/nncn.bc2018.0070.
Presentation and Talks
- "An Introductory Talk on Computational Neuroscience" at BioTech Club, IIT Bombay (March 2016)
- Talk on "Network Level Models in Computational Neuroscience" for students of Sophia College For Women, IIT Bombay (March 2014)
- "Lecture on the Hodgkin-Huxley Model" for a short course on Mathematical Modelling for Neurophysiology using Open Source Softwares at Govt. Engineering College, Chandrapur, Maharashtra (February 2014)
- List of some useful links in computational Neuroscience